Wednesday, April 07, 2021

Past my Best Before date

Our bathroom sink leaks every now and again and as the leaky problem is in the cupboard things get wet. I was sorting it out today and came across our old First Aid kit.

I decided I could get rid of the box and just keep anything inside that was useful. In the event that proved to be a pair of scissors.

Athlete's foot cream - use by 2000.
Dettol antiseptic cream - use by 1992.

And those were just the ointments that hadn't leaked and gunged. 

Then there's the eye bath and triangular calico bandage. As far as I can recall we've not used the eye bath in all our married years - but if I throw it out what are the chances Husband will need it tomorrow? As for the bandage, I wouldn't know what to do with it if need arose. No, first, I would forget that I had it and create an ad hoc bandage out of torn-up shirts. It works in the movies. Again, no, actually, if there was blood I would just faint thus removing the need for me to think about bandaging anybody.

One of the most embarrassing incidents in my life was when Younger Son cut his hand badly and I had to take him to Casualty. To my credit I got him there before I had to lie down before I fell down.

A friend who was a doctor walked past, saw me on the bed, and said, 'What's happened to you?'

I pointed weakly at Younger Son who was being tended to. 'He's cut his hand.'




3 comments:

Boud said...

Good idea to remove the antique items. You didn't have a booklet showing a nurse in a frilly cap, pouring boiling water from a kettle?

The good side is that you must be a healthy group if the contents were undisturbed for years.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Well, at least you were able to salvage the scissors, LOL!

Cop Car said...

I hope it didn't offend you that I laughed at the mental picture of you, lying abed in the hospital. People do come through in an emergency. At age 11 our elder daughter held it together long enough to help me get her 8-year-old sister to the doctor's office after the elder's having found the younger daughter bleeding from a self-inflicted stab wound in her hand. Younger had been using a pair of scissors to open a bottle of glue. No, she hadn't learned that from me. I would have used a bench vise.