Sunday, October 18, 2020

From little oaks

Following on from the enormous success I had growing carrots ...

okay, they were short and misshapen but still a vast improvement on my previous forays into the gardening world i.e. they didn't die, I am trying again but this time I'm going BIG!

Yes, I'm growing an oak tree! (Now, you see, that photo looked in focus when I took it - and I was wearing my glasses.)

I couldn't tell if it was a shoot or a root growing - I thought it looked like a shoot but wasn't sure - so I planted it sideways in the hope it knows which way to go.

I shall keep you informed of its progress.
* * * * *
When we used to visit the in-laws when the children were young, Mother-in-law used to tell them it was lucky to catch a falling leaf in October. I don't believe in luck but I love the tradition of trying to catch a leaf. Have you ever tried? It's not as easy as you might think. The air you move as you run towards it propels it away from you.

Yesterday when we were in the country park with the grandchildren we had great fun tearing around until everyone had caught a leaf - except Granny. (I did manage eventually.)
But once hooked on the 'catch a leaf' thing catching one isn't enough. Today Husband and I were walking by the river. We stopped for a cuddle - as old married couples do - and over Husband's shoulder I could see trees shedding their leaves. 

'Keep saying the mantra,' I told myself. 'Ignore the leaves, ignore the leaves, ignore the ...' 
I pushed Husband aside and threw myself at a falling leaf.
I missed it.

But I did get a consolation prize on the way home. A leaf fell almost into my hands.







8 comments:

Cop Car said...

There is a reason that aerodynamics is not an "easy A" course. Wind tunnels help with visualization. Many of our leaves fall horizontally - from the wind. Yesterday was such a day. Although I had raked both front and back lawns this past week, yesterday's moderate winds (gusting only to 40-45 mph) swept our front lawn practically clean and deposited a few layers of newly fallen leaves over the back lawn.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh my, those carrots! Is your garden full of nuclear contaminated soil or something? And I've never heard of that autumn leaf catching tradition before -- but it sounds charming!

Marie Smith said...

I’ve never heard that one about catching the leaf in October. I will do that with the grandkids.

Liz Hinds said...

Aerodynamics has a lot to answer for, CopCar.

Our cat was buried there, Debra, but he made the courgettes grow well.

Do try it, Marie, and report back how you get on.

nick said...

I'm sure that acorn will know which way to grow. We get acorns growing in our lawn sometimes, they always know which way is up! (no idea where they come from, maybe dropped by birds?)

Liz Hinds said...

Undoubtedly, Nick. Or squirrels.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

That acorn will know just what it has to do and thrive... might take a while, though. I'm hoping the same goes for the cherry stone I planted this year...

pam nash said...

Very cool - mighty oak from acorn and all. I shall be interested in seeing how it does. I also like to grow trees from seed. So far - magnolia, pomegranate, catalpa, black walnut, peach, and just retrieved some (hopefully) crabapples with seeds.