Tuesday, August 18, 2020

This Granny sends her regards

 

The Remains of the Day 

Kazuo Ishiguro

4*

Yorkshire Memoir has written a very detailed description and review over on his blog, and it was that that made me decide to read this classic. 

I very much enjoyed it, its style of prose, the little details, the historical background. It certainly wasn't, as I feared, a difficult book to read. It's not fast or thrilling and in fact most of the story is only hinted at, but four stars from me.


My Grandmother Sends her Regards and Apologises
Fredrik Backman
5* 
For some time I've been listing this as my favourite book. Re-reading it reminded me why. I would give it 10* if I could. 
It's about the relationship between a woman and her grand-daughter. 

When the grandmother dies she leaves a trail of letters for Sophie to find and deliver, and in so doing to find out the history of the occupants of the block of flats in which Sophie lives, how they're linked, and how each one has a story that has led to how they behave.

That sounds fairly average but this story and the characters are anything but. there is so much about it that I love. There were so many wonderful bits I was going to quote but I'll just leave you with this: Granny used to solve the problem by shouting at the road signs.


Where We Belong

Anstey Harris

4*

Following her husband's death, a woman and her son return to the museum that was home to her husband as a child. How the museum takes a hold on them both forms the basis for the novel. 

The 19-year-old son has Down's Syndrome. I don't think I've ever before read a book in which a main character has this, and it was really educational for me. 

I suppose I would have liked the ending to be slightly different but a lovely story that I enjoyed.


Rough and Deadly

Paula Williams

4*

The second in the Much Winchmoor Mysteries series. I think I gave the first one 3* but knowing the characters from the first book, and recognising references, made this that much better. I'm getting to know and like them better.

A cosy murder. As it says on the book, If you like Agatha Raisin you'll love this.' I detest Agatha Raisin - unpleasant character in badly-written books - but I can't stop reading them. That's not so in this case. Nicer characters and better written.


3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm afraid that right now I'm reading a book of celebrity gossip. Clearly, I must "up my game."

Marie Smith said...

Thanks for the book suggestions.

Thomas Aldora said...

Nice blog, I will keep visiting this blog very often.

https://winnermfg.com/

https://irepairpk.com/

https://dubaipainterservices.com/

https://mediadimensions.net/