Monday, June 29, 2020

Stop reading halfway through

Happy to report talk is finished, rendered successfully - into a film - and sent off to Monty. Not without some mishaps and mild swearing at technology. But it's done and I slept well last night.

Apart from a strange dream that involved going into prison by walking up a thin stretch of tape in mid air. Everyone else did it but I couldn't. 

Anyway, with the film out of the way I can relax. I asked Monty if it was okay. He said, 'Absolutely.' I think that means it's fine. It will be broadcast in a service next Sunday. Saying broadcast makes it sound as if it's going into hundreds of homes but I think the number is more likely to be in the tens. Or maybe less than ten. Anyway, I've done my bit and I can forget it now.

And breathe.

Weather is forecast to be variable this week, a but of everything barring snow I think. Then again, never say never. Bydd hi'n bwrw eira yfory. (It will be snowing tomorrow.)

Younger Son and family came to visit yesterday for the first time since lockdown. GrandDaughter3 was introduced to the trampoline and loved it.
On a slightly less cheerful note, our television watching has been sombre of late. Cardinal is a reminder of the darker side of life although at least it is individuals that are cruel and perverted. The Salisbury Poisonings, on the other hand, demonstrates state sponsored evil.

It's a dramatisation of the events surrounding  the poisoning of the Russian spy and his daughter - plus others - in the centre of Salisbury in 2018. Novichok, the nerve agent used, was described by a chemical weapon expert as one of the most deadly synthetic poisons known to man. Synthetic. Made by man to kill man.

Unbelievably evil and inhuman, and why are we even trying to create such things?

I also finally got round to watching the first episode of Noughts and Crosses. A dramatisation this time of the YA novel by Malorie Blackman that I read some years ago. A Romeo and Juliet type story set in an imagined world where Crosses rule and Noughts struggle for equality, in a reversal of our society. As painful as you would expect to see prejudice and racial stereotyping from 'the other side'.

And with that cheery note I'll leave you. I bet you're thinking, 'She can go back to being busy if this is what she's going to depress us with on a Monday morning.'

P.S. I'm so depressed by the thought of Novichok that I won't even comment on the attempts of the government to stop the Wiltshire Chief Public Health Officer doing her job as she deemed necessary, in order to reduce inconvenience to the public (and save money).

6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Speaking of depressing British TV series, we just finished watching the White House Farm Murders.

Liz Hinds said...

Haven't seen that. Think I need some good comedies for a change!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Absolutely nothing sad allowed here, I'm having enough gloomy dreams. Perhaps I need a trampoline?

Liz Hinds said...

AS long as you remember to wee before going on it, Sonata!

Marie Smith said...

Children sure can lift our spirits. After lockdown, it must have been so good to see them.

pam nash said...

Trampolines are lots of fun - if you're under 40. At 70-something, probably not so much. The news of the world is so depressing, I stick with reruns of shows I know what's going to happen!