Monday, June 22, 2020

A foodie post

Daughter and family visited yesterday afternoon to say, 'Happy father's day,' so I made them watch the ceremonial harvesting of my first carrots. Ta da!
I have to admit it was a bit of a letdown: all that greenery led me to expect a huge carrot. Still I did get the seeds from M&S and their slogan is, 'It's not just food, it's M&S food,' so they're probably posh carrots and are meant to be short and fat. The taste was quite mild but very nice.

Remember I got this little packet of seeds free just before lockdown? I planted them expecting them to be a flop. These carrots are the first things I've ever grown and I am ridiculously proud of them and myself.

I picked them to serve for Father's Day dinner. Elder Son had ordered a tomahawk steak as a present for Husband.I'd never heard of tomahawk steak and when ES gave me instructions for cooking it I was slightly panicky - but it all turned out very well.


With avocado and prawns for starters, and home-grown rhubarb and raspberry crumble for dessert, Husband was pleased with his special dinner. And he even managed to force down a raspberry and white chocolate cookie later in the evening.

I'd made them in the afternoon ready for Daughter's visit.
Declared yummy by grandchildren.

6 comments:

Cop Car said...

It all looks delicious. I had not heard of tomahawk steaks, either. Will have to research.

Cop Car said...

Aha! A rib-eye steak with a long handle.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Your cooking always looks (and sounds) wonderful. I'm surprised any of them left home.

Marie Smith said...

Yummy looking for sure, all of it!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What a delicious looking feast! I've never heard of a "tomahawk steak" either. I'm especially impressed with your hasselback potatoes! I've never attempted to make those.

pam nash said...

Delicious looking dinner at your house. Carrots always take long to grow than you think they should.