Friday, April 10, 2020

I was wrong

Several people corrected me: dogs are still allowed on beaches, until May at least. So we've been taking advantage of that. 
When I was a child my friend, Maggi, and I would determine to get in the sea as early in the year as we could. That meant a sunny day in April or even March would find us at Rotherslade in our swimming costumes - no wetsuits in those days!

And it would be flipping freezing. It literally took your breath away. Dunking under you'd be struggling to breathe as you came up. 'Yeah, it's great,' we'd say.

Maggi still swims early and late into the year; I chickened out a long time ago. 

Just paddling today sent pains up my legs it was so cold. But it is a beautiful day.

I should have added the wonderful weather to my list in the previous post. Quarantine wouldn't be half as pleasant if it were raining all the time. 

6 comments:

Cop Car said...

Sounds like fun; but, I'll stick to un-salted water, thank you. (High blood pressure, eh?)

Marie Smith said...

I remember swimming in Newfoundland in the summer as a child and the sea was cold like you describe. Take care.

Liz Hinds said...

Yes, good fun, CopCar.

I won't be doing any swimming for a while, marie!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

When I was a kid far from any ocean, we swam in the local river. Not too bad for warmth, but you had to be careful of leeches.

Liz Hinds said...

Husband also swam in rivers. He lived in the Midlands, the heart of industrial country, so I can't imagine the river was very clean!

pam nash said...

I do sort of the same thing as an adult - go to the gulf of Mexico as soon as possible though I don't wear a bathing suit any more. Still do walk through the waves as they reach the beach. Nice.