Friday, April 03, 2020

Foxes, rabbits and Corona

This morning Husband was reminiscing about calculus.

To be specific a book he remembered from his time in university. And to be even more specific how you can use maths to predict fox and rabbit populations. And it all begins with grass. He went into a lot more detail but really I think that's enough. (Okay , I stopped listening after this point.) (Hang on in there, this is relevance to this.)

He said scientists are using calculus to track and predict the infection rate. 'In fact calculus - maths - crops up everywhere in real life.'

I did basic calculus in A-level maths but these days I struggle to add more than two numbers together. 'But,' Husband said, 'you must remember some of the things you learned in university.'

I had a think.

'Nope.'

I blame children. Hormones. Children. Age. Children.

We have some fascinating discussions.

On a different note we watched the National Theatre's production of One Man, Two Guvnors, streamed on Youtube last night. It was so funny. A lot of slapstick that made me laugh out loud and that doesn't happen often when I'm watching television.
And I see Lloyd Webber is doing a similar thing with his musicals starting tonight with Joseph! My favourite. I shall have to persuade Husband to watch it.


5 comments:

Cop Car said...

Husband is just trying to help you, Liz. See Linda J.S. Allen's paper, A primer on stochastic epidemic models: Formulation, numerical simulation, and analysis, the abstract of which states, "Some mathematical methods for formulation and numerical simulation of stochastic epidemic models are presented. Specifically, models are formulated for continuous-time Markov chains and stochastic differential equations. Some well-known examples are used for illustration such as an SIR epidemic model and a host-vector malaria model. Analytical methods for approximating the probability of a disease outbreak are also discussed."

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That particular National Theatre production has come through our cinema chain here before, but I didn't go see it. If it comes again (when we're all allowed to go back to the cinemas), I'll definitely go see it -- it looks absolutely hilarious from that video clip! James Cordon is very talented.

I never studied calculus and am almost 100% dependent on my calculator to do all but the simplest of sums.

Liz Hinds said...

Wow! Thank you, CopCar!

I think it's available online for maybe another 24 hours, Debra.

Marie Smith said...

I did some calculus in university but hated it. I remember little of what I learned but know enough to know what I don’t know and I can find answers.

pam nash said...

I never had to take calculus and never did - ugh - math of any sort was not ever my favorite.