Monday, November 25, 2019

All about a superstar

I forgot to mention that we went to see Jesus Christ Superstar on Friday in the Grand Theatre. We go every year to see the show put on by the Abbey Players, a local  amateur group, and they're always very well done. 

JCS was no exception. It was a wonderful production that must have taken loads of rehearsing. Judas was especially good - or would have been had we been able to hear the words clearly. I often find the band too loud. Is that me getting old?

It's not my favourite musical though. Quite harrowing to sit through at the end. It's always puzzled me: if you're including the word 'superstar' in a musical's title you'd think it would include the most 'superstar' moment from the hero's life i.e. coming back from the dead. Why stop at the death? Why not go on a bit further so your audience can come away on high instead of a gloomy low?

I suppose that would have been too much of a statement.




3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm a huge fan of JC Superstar too! Great music, lyrics that are still pointed.

Marie Smith said...

I felt the same about that musical when I saw it. It ended too early.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

No, the next chapter and beyond is still being played out ( just) in a church near you. And the music is as good.