Thursday, October 17, 2019

A completely new thing

In the course of the last six days I've tried three new recipes in a sudden spurt of enthusiasm. Two were from Nigel Slater and a curry from Madhur Jaffry. 

The chicken saag was disappointing. Boring. My view might be prejudiced by the fact that I was cuddling a bag of frozen veg between my legs when I finally got to eat it - the strained rice water being responsible for my burning.

First from Mr Slater was Coq au Riesling or, in my case, Poulet au Piesporter. It was good but a bit fatty. I had to strain off a lot but maybe that was because I crammed too much chicken in the pan. He recommended serving with salad; I dished it up with mash, carrots and green beans. How you could eat salad with it is beyond me as there was a lot of lovely sauce to mop up.

Last night I made risotto with leeks and tallegio or, in my case, leeks and camembert and parmesan. It would have just been camembert if someone - no names but it wasn't me or George - hadn't already eaten half of it. Very yummy and very much comfort food. 

Now if a recipe says serves two I always make a bit extra (because we're greedy) but this was indeed a very generous two-person serving. I even have a bit left for lunch today. 

We followed that up with crumble made with home-grown rhubarb. 

Two happy chubby bunnies.

And a completely new thing: yesterday Husband had a letter from Hang Seng Bank telling him Mr E Hinds had died and his estate was up for grabs. If that's my estate they're talking about it amounts to £23 hidden in the back of a drawer. Probably not worth writing from Hong Kong about.


1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sometimes new recipes can be very disappointing, can't they. Even when they're good, I always tweak the recipe two or three times until it's exactly to my taste.