Monday, August 26, 2019

Bank holiday

The long weekend has been a time of fun and family with just one low that I'll cover in the next post. For now I'll concentrate on the good times we had.

Elder Son and family came to stay and, for once, the sun shone in Swansea on a Bank Holiday so we were able to go to the beach, eat ice cream - well, okay, we'd have done that anyway - swim in the sea and the pool, eat lots - ditto - and generally have the most excellent time.

Since I bought my body board it's been cool and grey but I finally got to use it at Pobbles this weekend and it was just as much fun as I remember.


I decided to make my usual mermaid, hoping to get the grandchildren to help me, but they decided they only wanted to jump on it. Trying to take a photo before they were allowed to, while unable to see what I'm doing because of the sun, resulted in this rather half-bodied photo.


And we went along to the Welsh Street Food Festival, which was held on the museum green just behind the marina. 


Some friends had a stall there selling burgers so I felt compelled - you know, got to support friends - to have one. A Welsh One. With Welsh rarebit and other yummy stuff, It was delicious.
As you can see from my face below.

Eight-year-old grandson was amused by this plaque built into an old wall. I confess I had a quick giggle too.
And I nearly forgot: our vegetarian barbecue!

Elder Son always cooks at least one meal for us when they visit and this time, thinking about advice given to heart problem patients, on avoiding red meat, he planned a veggie barbie. Inspired by tastes he'd experienced - the benefit of working in the big city - he came up with his own versions of barbecued cauliflower, griddled aubergine and stuffed peppers. And very lovely it all was too.







5 comments:

PipeTobacco said...

Hello Liz:

The sign you posted had me grin as well. I wonder how long and dedicated the addition of the “I” took the folks to scrape in? :)

Having heard of Welsh Rarebit.... but never tasting it nor knowing what it was..... had me eagerly searching on the internet. Am I now correct in that it is simply a cheese sauce? Or was my internet search not giving me the complete picture?

Liz Hinds said...

PipeTobacco, at its most basic Welsh rarebit is a form of cheese on toast - but not simply cheese. A mix of cheese, mustard and some liquid - usually stout, a dark rich ale, is recommended. A good article is here: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/oct/27/how-to-cook-perfect-welsh-rarebit

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The veggie BBQ looks delicious! It's amazing what can be done with cauliflower these days.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Sounds like the perfect weekend!
( Apart from the cauliflower, which should only ever be made into cauliflower cheese, ever, ever, ever...….)

Liz Hinds said...

You'd be surprised, Sonata. It was really nice - and I'm not a huge cauli fan.