Friday, July 19, 2019

HerE.aM.I

The main thing that struck me about Weston Super Mare is that it could all do with a quick coat of paint. Oh, and a good dedicated tea shop. And someone to weed the town flower-beds. Okay, three things.

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself. 

Tuesday child-minding plus later sea swimming and having great fun. I went exploring the Upper Clydach valley again and this time I took my camera - but it's now died on me so I can't share photos yet, but here's one of Younger Son's showing GrandSon4 leaping in beach pools. 
That was before he went full-on naked.

Wednesday, another warm day and a very tough exercise class. At the end one of the older ladies said to me, 'I wouldn't like to meet you on a dark night.' (She'd been watching me upper-cutting.)

Then it was more child-minding, and the last Wednesday afternoon I shall spend with GrandDaughter2 as she starts full school in September. Picnic, castle visiting, rolling down hills, ice cream sundaes, playground playing, and charity shop bargain hunting. GrandDaughter2 came away with a pirate cutlass on the strict understanding she wouldn't attack her big brother with it.

And then it was Thursday. 

I've wanted to go to Weston Super Mare since a friend mentioned on Facebook an exhibition that was on there so we finally made it, just before the schools break up and it gets really busy. 

W-S-M is a traditional seaside town with a long - and rather lovely - promenade lined with fish and chip shops, souvenir stalls and ice cream vendors. And donkey rides on the beach! I wanted to have a ride but when I got next to one I realised putting my weight on it might be a bit cruel so just stroked them instead.

W-S-M also has a pier.
A Grand Pier that is completely out of the water for two thirds of the day - which does make me wonder why they decided to build it in the first place. According to the sign on the pier W-S-M has the second largest tidal reach in the world, and the sea goes out and out and out. 
This is the view from our hotel window.

It may look as if the sea comes halfway up the beach but actually it's roughly in line with the edge of the headland. (It may be a bit closer; it had started to come in then.) The rest is very deep, very sticky, dangerous mud.

Back in 1929 the local authorities realised that a seaside with no sea was going to be a bit of a let-down for tourists so they built a marine lake promenade to create a day-long seaside with sandy beach.


And just to prove that the tide did come in here's the view from our hotel this morning.
Yes, a slight change in the weather. Notice that determined water-skier.

Now here's a little puzzle for you. (I think it's a puzzle. It may just be a poem.)


And the next post will explain why we went to Weston Super Mare. 


1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I would have gone for a donkey ride on the beach. They're not called "beasts of burden" for nothing.