Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Husband has nearly got over his indigestion

So all that's missing from my anniversary posts is the one about the food.

Trouble with having an anniversary on a Monday is that most of the excellent restaurants don't open. So we're stuck with chains or pubs, or in this case, a gastropub that has AA rosettes.

It was quiet: we were the only people eating in the restaurant although I think others were eating in the bar. The menu looked good. It's always promising when there are at least two things that I am tempted by.

So here goes.

Husband had smoked duck (not smokey enough) for starters while I had a smokey cheese and caramelised onion tartlet (very nice, crisp pastry and tasty filling).

Followed by sewin for me and belly pork for him.
Not very impressed with potato croquette but the rest was nice, especially the crispy cockles.

While we were eating this course I said, 'I'm not very impressed with Mash.'
Husband stopped eating, 'This mash?' he said pointing to his plate.
'No! On television.'
Husband stared at me. 'Do you mean Catch-22?'
'Yes! Of course I mean Catch-22. I love Mash.'

I fear as the years go by our conversations will go like this more and more.

Anyway Husband wasn't going to have pudding as he was full but I persuaded him that we should have the pannacotta and the creme brulee and share each other's.
Husband had the flaming passion fruit creme brulee and it was delicious, the titchy piece that I got to taste.

But my raspberry pannacotta was dreadful. It was like a rubbery mousse. The poached peach and teaspoonful of raspberry sorbet were yummy but didn't make up for the pannacotta. When the waiter came and took our plates - licked clean of course - he asked if we'd enjoyed. Automatically we both said yes but then I added, 'Actually it was just okay.' Couldn't quite go as far as saying, 'It was terrible,' especially not as I'd eaten it all.

So that's it for another year. 







3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm not sure what sewin is and perhaps that's for the best.

PipeTobacco said...

Liz:

May I ask what “AA Rosettes” are? Is it a food? Is it a rating scale for the restaurant ? I had not heard the term before.

PipeTobacco

Liz Hinds said...

Sewin is a bit like salmon, Debra. It might be a cross between salmon and trout.

That is a good question, PipeTobacco. I think it's for the food but that may be a false assumption on my part. It could be for the restaurant.