Thursday, January 24, 2019

Clogs in Delft

I met a man who said he was from Oldham. Then he said, 'Delft actually.'

He also told me he wore clogs until he was fourteen.

I wonder if he were getting Oldham confused with Holland.

* * * * * *
In other news I'm going to see 'National Trevor', Sandi Toksvig, tonight. Very excited.

And there was something else I was going to write about but for the life of me I can't remember.

This wasn't it but it is something.

As you know I've been trying to get on with Twitter and Facebook stuff,  or getting down with the kids as I like to call it, because, seriously, nearly everyone on there is young. You get the odd oldie like me but we're definitely the exceptions.

I'm joining writing groups and, accidentally, book groups, and there are so many writers out there. And the thing I've noticed is that they're all, almost without fail, confident. They're happy to declare themselves as writers, to talk confidently about approaching agents and being published, not having any doubts about their ability or the likelihood of publication.

Are they just pretending? Putting on a face? Or do they really believe the lie that generation was told that, 'you can do anything, be anything you want'?

Or perhaps they are all very good, will all succeed, and it's just me who's envious of their certainty. I hope for them that's the case.

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

It can be very difficult to tell the difference between confidence and bravado, I agree.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

How old was the clog wearer? If he was fairly ancient he could have worn clogs as a boy in Olham before the war … or perhaps he clog-danced as a child?
A few of my older neighbours wear them now, saying it's the best way to keep your feet warm.

wherethejourneytakesme said...

We are 6 miles from the Oldham border about 14 miles to the centre - I think there are still clogs and cobbles there!

Liz Hinds said...

Debra, they all seem very confident but all sorts of lies are hidden by the internet.

Younger than me, Sonata. Maybe in his fifties. It surprised me.

Sounds intriguing, wherethejourneytakesme