Sunday, December 23, 2018

The day I became invisible

I'd offered to deliver a package so I made arrangements with Hannah.

Picture the scene. A smart cocktail bar full of Beautiful Young Things enjoying Christmas festivities.

ERic Morecambe shortsNow picture me. Just out of exercise class and dressed in Eric Morecambe shorts (long and baggy), a hoodie, little grey dog socks and trainers. 

We'd arranged that I would phone Hannah when I was close and she would come out to meet me. But I forgot to take my phone.

Result: an under-dressed over-aged woman trying to make her way through the throng of BYTs. My little 'excuse me please's went unheard. My embarrassment turned to frustration as I realised that not only was nobody looking me, they didn't even see me. To all intents and purposes I had become invisible.

Next time I'll just be rude. (No, actually I won't. It's not in me.)

* * * * * * * * *
On a different note, I'm almost there now. I've had a good day today and the Christmas preps are almost complete. So much so that I am about to sit down and work on my Christmas jigsaw, which sadly isn't going to be completed by Christmas. 

6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

BYTs can bite me. They'll be our age someday too!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Living near a college, the young people I see are mostly around 19 to 20. The advantage is that I look SO old that they tend to rush to clear a path for me. Whether it's because I look like their great-great granny or because age might be catching, I don't know.

Polly said...

ha ha, brilliant image Liz. I've been invisible since I reached 50! Happy Christmas x

Anonymous said...

an early Christmas present. happy laughter!
I go invisible all the time! it's quite handy actually.
and no magical cloak is needed. (sorry JK)
Merry Christmas dear bean! xo

Liz Hinds said...

Then they'll be sorry, Debra!

Young people in Holland are probably politer, Sonata.

I think I have too, Polly, it's just taken me a while to realise it.

I wrote a story once - long before JK - about someone who had an invisibility cloak, Tammy. Must look for it. (Story not cloak.)

And merry Christmas to you all.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Sorry Liz.. I am laughing to much .. I was picturing the scene !!. I am used to go into cocktail bars and thinking I am invisble . But you know,.. I wasn't They remembered me each time I went in Which was quite a bit . But then I wasn't dressed like you .. I am not taking the mickey, you are just hilarious