Tuesday, November 06, 2018

Nine things to do or not do when public speaking

public speaking
Well, that was a silly idea. 

While looking for cartoons for the last post I noticed several articles offering advice to public speakers. 

Speak slowly, speak with animation, move around, don't fiddle, don't say um, make eye contact, don't freak out individuals, don't wave your arms, make gestures. 

Too much too late. I can't take all that in.

Biggest problems I foresee: waving my hands too much and saying um. 

It'll be fine. I'm not really that worried. I just want to do it well. (Then maybe they'll invite me back to talk about my books!)

Messaging Younger Son and it occurs to me that the reason for my nerves is the fact that I'm representing Zac's rather than me. Tell myself that Sean trusts me and has faith in me.

All will be fine.

P.S. Suddenly occurred to me: they won't have a microphone, will they? I won't have to work out how to hold that and my postcards while making effective gesticulations, will I?

No comments: