Monday, November 12, 2018

I do birthdays better than the Queen

On Saturday I declared my birthday officially started. It wasn't actually until today (Monday) but I like to do things in style. You're not 66 every day after all. 

Day 1, Saturday evening Husband cooked dinner. For starters we had braesola, green salad and parmesan - one of my favourites - followed by Husband's special, cottage pie. It is delicious. If you ever get the chance to taste it do so! Although you'll have to fight me off first.

We'd planned to watch the Wales versus Australia rugby game on BBC iplayer in the evening ... but it wasn't there. The only hiccup in an otherwise perfect day. But they won so that was a special bonus.

Sunday morning Husband went shopping for food for the party tea while I had some 'me' time, wandering around all the events that formed part of  the Pages of the Sea Armistice celebration. I'll do a separate post on that because it was very special.

Tea-time and let the fun commence. Children, grandchildren, dogs all joined in the celebrations (sadly not Elder Son and family but all the rest) with a splendid party tea followed by cake made by Daughter.
pavlova birthday cake
And that was day 2.

Day 3, my actual birthday, began with breakfast in bed then an outing to Castell Coch, again more details in another post - this post is ALL about me.

Now I'm writing my blog before Husband takes me to Bistrot Pierre for dinner. It's quite hard finding restaurants that open on Mondays; we've been caught out before.

I still have boxes of Maltesers and packets of Malteser truffles plus a round of Italian hazelnut chocolate to enjoy so I think my birthday will go on for a little longer.

This is the card Husband gave to me - when he'd finally written it about an hour ago. Spot the deliberate mistake.



And the watch I asked for. The first watch I was ever given came in a glass slipper - a Timex Cinderella watch. This one wasn't in a glass slipper but has big clear numbers and even a little light for when it's dark. I have no more excuses for being late.

3 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Happy Birthday! And your new watch is exactly the same make and model as mine -- the light-up feature is so useful when at the movies or in the middle of the night. I've needed the Big Numbers for quite awhile now -- screw those dainty little "women's" watches that are impossible to read.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Happy Birthday! Your watch is very splendid as is the cake … lovely! But the best bit has to be gathering (nearly) everyone together for the party.

Jacqui said...

A belated happy birthday, Liz! Your birthday treats look and sound delicious - I haven't come across Malteser truffles, but I'll look out for them now. The fruit, meringue gateau looks wonderful. I chuckled at your husband's deliberate mistake on the card - not an untypical one I think - very sweet!