Monday, September 24, 2018

The superiority of the Welsh

Had a wonderful time on the steam trains yesterday. Lots of rides, no queues, trains to ourselves and all free (instead of the 50p a ride normally!) And I was propositioned by an 82-year-old. 'Would you like to drive my train?'

He was very insistent I should have a go and, on reflection, I don't know why I refused. I was a bit scared I might crash it even though he told me it was very easy. Also I wasn't sure if the other steam engineers would approve of a woman driving their train. Now I wish I had.

Seeing the driver load up with coal reminded me what it was I'd been trying to remember. When I was growing up my grandmother always grumbled if the coalman gave her anything except Welsh coal. 'This English rubbish,' she'd say. 'You can keep a fire going with it.'

I always assumed it was an inborn Welsh prejudice but on Saturday in the library I discovered my gran was right.

I was reading - or flicking through - GrandSon4 is a bit young for the original Thomas the Tank Engine stories - a book about Henry, the green engine. It seemed that Henry wasn't running properly and they couldn't work out what was wrong until his fireman suggested that his engine needed Welsh coal to help him run efficiently. It was more expensive but the Fat Controller deemed it worthwhile and so Henry was restored to proper order. Because of the excellence of the Welsh coal.

I apologise for doubting you, long deceased Grandmother of mine.

Addendum
Husband tells me that, 'Everyone knows Welsh coal is the best. It's anthracite, which has fewer impurities.' So now we know. Or perhaps you all did already and it was just me who didn't. (You must have learned about it in school, 'Husband said. I shrugged, 'Maybe.' As if I'd remember something like that. I was far too busy remembering which Rolling Stone was which.)

3 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Exactly!

Anonymous said...

I do recall learning in grade school all about how there was "hard" coal and "soft" coal - "anthracite" and "bituminous". Disappointingly, the USA had only one source of anthracite - in Pennsylvania. Oh, the memories you dredge up for me, Liz.
Cop Car

Liz Hinds said...

Yes, apparently Welsh and Pennsylvanian anthracite is highly prized, CC.