Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Bees with dirty feet

Younger Son is starting the process of extracting the honey from the hive. He's promised me photos of his progress but here are a couple of ... fiddle, I can't remember what they're called.

Once the wax seals have been removed the honey can flow out. (You can see in the top photo where some of the wax has already come off revealing the beautiful clear honey underneath.) The bottom one looks cleaner because it's younger and hasn't been walked upon - by the bees - so much. 

Some drops of honey have escaped already. I sampled a bit and it was yummy. And I don't like honey as a rule.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It used to be that nearly all farmers in the Midwestern US (and probably elsewhere) kept bees; thus, both sets of my grandparents kept them. For a few years (1985-1995?) my elder brother kept bees, in town (Santa Fe NM). I think my brother called those things "frames" if I'm interpreting your intentions correctly. Like you, I'm not a honey lover - I still have some of my brother's product - but a little nip doesn't hurt.
Cop Car

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Didn't you provide the bees with little hive doormats to wipe their feet on? No wonder they tracked dirt all over the honeycomb.

Liz Hinds said...

Yes, frames sounds right, CC. I only use honey when my throat's sore but if it lives up to my tastes I may eat more of it.

I must tell Younger Son to make sure there is a doormat at the hive entrance next year, debra.

Anonymous said...

Debra--What a chuckle I produced in response to your cheeky question. Yay! I'm happy to read that Liz is learning from you.

Liz--The only way I've eaten raw honey was, as a kid (not child!) I ate it on Mom's pancakes - along with a glass of ice-cold milk to cut the sweetness. That was the only way I ate honey OR drank milk, so I didn't consume much of either (possibly two or three times per year?) I've never tried honey (& lemon juice?) for a sore throat, preferring plain, hot water. I do occasionally use honey in cooking up pork chops, using my brother's late wife's recipe.
Cop Car

Anonymous said...

I love honey bees. God help us if we ever destroy them.
and over here it seems we're coming close. thank goodness for you and others who are helping them survive! such tiny feet that have such important jobs!