Monday, August 06, 2018

Went for biscuits, came back with a painting

Some months ago I was sitting on the sofa staring into space. My eyes lighted on the painting over the fire-place. It's been there for almost thirty years and I realised that, though I still love it, I never 'see' it now. 

Then last week I went to Mumbles to buy biscuits and impulse-bought a painting although
it was impulse only in the fact that I'd gone to buy biscuits. I'd been dithering over which painting to buy for, oh, must be a couple of years. There were lots in the gallery by the same artist, Arwen Banning, featuring family on the beach scenes at Langland and they bring back so many happy memories. 

I only had twenty minutes' parking time so I had to make a fast decision.


But I may return and buy another for the other wall to replace my bear and leopard paintings that have done equally good service. In fact we've had them even longer. I think I bought the leopard cub picture before I was married.


And this one, another by the same artist, I've had in the study for a number of years.


And I say painting or picture but I mean print.



4 comments:

Rose said...

These are lovely, Liz, especially the children on the beach.

Sharon said...

Sometimes you look at your artwork for such a long time you don't 'see' it anymore. I can't really change mine out, but I'm thinking of moving them around. :) You've picked a couple winners there.
Did you remember the biscuits?

Liz Hinds said...

Thanks, Rose.

Yes, I did, Sharon. I have my priorities!

nick said...

I like the two pictures of women. There's a sense that they're both strong characters.

I know what you mean about no longer "seeing" a picture. We have a lovely abstract painting in the kitchen which I tend not to even notice, so every so often I have to make a point of looking at it properly.