Sunday, August 12, 2018

'I despair'

I forgot to mention that I watched the film with my slankie draped over and snuggled in around me. Did we really have a heatwave? It's already a thing of the past it seems. Bedsocks are being worn and it was only the fact that it's August and I really shouldn't that stopped me putting the heating on.

I'm not complaining; it was a wonderful summer. A few more like that and we'd never need to go abroad. The children are still on summer holidays but that's the way I remember it from my growing up. Hot in June and July when we had exams and school and turning wetter and colder in August just in time for the holidays. Quite often followed in late September by a spell of mild or even warm weather again.

And it seems if the folly that is Brexit goes ahead it will be more difficult and expensive to travel to the continent. I read on FaceBook about a report today - albeit in the Mail so not necessarily true - that suggests a £6 visa will be required for each trip. Mail readers - pro-Brexit - are up in arms.

We had a friend many years ago named James. A slightly eccentric character his favourite catchphrase was, 'I despair.' I find myself thinking of him as I mutter that to myself more and more these days. In anything to do with Brexit, Trump or people like the woman who gave a beach a poor rating on TripAdvisor because the 'sand was too wet to make sand-castles.'

2 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

No seriously, I do quite understand her complaint.
These days we can buy frozen roasted potatoes and ready-to-eat porridge in sachets so why can't we have ready to use sand?

Liz Hinds said...

I think you can actually, sonata! And it's the pancake mix that makes me laugh: just add egg and milk ... um, so it's flour?