Tuesday, July 03, 2018

Things Husband and I shouldn't do together

Sunday evening (no internet)
There are two things Husband and I shouldn't do together. Ballroom dancing is one and the other is kayaking.

In both these activities Husband (thinks he) is always right.

In ballroom dancing, members of the jury, I put it to you that the fault - guilt of making mistakes - should be shared between both parties.

In kayaking I am prepared to admit the fault is all mine.

If left to my own devices I would go round in circles. I know from fitness class and life generally that my right arm is much stronger than my left so how is it that when it comes to paddling my left arm is the more powerful?

An aside for those who don't know about paddling a kayak. If you paddle on the right you will go left and vice versa. So you need to balance the paddling on each side to go in a straightish line.

If we had wanted to land on the right shore we would have been fine; I could have done that. But landing on the left or just going ahead and I scuppered us every time.

Husband checked my action and it all seemed to be okay; I just couldn't stop going right.

My inability to remember which was my left arm and which was my right in a moment of panic probably didn't help. But neither does shouting at me!

At one point when Husband had got us out of yet another fix I’d got us in he said, “I don't know where you would be without me.”
“I wouldn't be in this flipping kayak for a start.”

It all started badly.

Let's say the river flows from right to left. All the kayaking trips started at the right 'end’ and people paddled downstream, helped by the current. We launched our kayak and Husband said, “We’re going that way,” meaning upstream (or right in my terminology).
“Why? Everyone else is going left.”
“There may be something interesting up there that we’re missing.”
There wasn't. And by the time we’d turned around my arms were already aching.

But I don't want you to think it was all bad. I enjoyed lots of it especially the shutes and the rapids and when I stopped paddling and let Husband do all the work. And it's a beautiful river - if not a little over-crowded with kayakers.

And the health and safety aspect was well taken care of. Before we began the man asked if we were over seven, if we could swim and told us to keep our life jackets on at all times. That was it.

Two and a half hours and eleven kilometres plus later and we were back. And worn out.


I wouldn't consider going for dinner in a wooden shack on the roadside in Britain but it seems like the thing to do in France. And having eaten the food at Le Resto de Village (I shall have to check the name when we have internet) I can understand why. Delicieux!

Today, Sunday, we drove further south to St Aygulf and to a much more upmarket camp site. Our caravan actually has air conditioning!! A very popular and crowded with families location. Everything has changed since we were here last time when the children were young. Yes, we made them visit our honeymoon haunts too. A lot more built up and touristy. We'll see tomorrow when we go to explore the coast if that's as it was.

Monday
No, it's not. So much development. Crowded beaches and a marina full of expensive boats.

But we found a spot on the beach and relaxed in the sun, grateful for the occasional cloud and warm breeze. And a sea that was a little bit wavy and a good temperature.

Not so successful at finding a place to eat in Frejus old town in the evening; it seems Monday is the closing day. We did find a trattoria closer to the touristy sea front where Husband was able to watch Japan take on Belgium. (Close game ending with a Belgian victory if you're interested.)

Tuesday
Remember those big hairy caterpillars? I should have encouraged them. Maybe then the bitey things wouldn't have moved in on me. I wonder what picture it would make if I joined the dots …

I brought far too many clothes with me. I forgot that when on holiday, especially of the camping variety, I turn hobo. I don't wash much - well, I'm in the sea, pool or river a lot - and I keep wearing the same clothes - I'm usually in my bathers.

England play tonight. I can't remember which team but it's knock out now. Most of the campers are French with a smattering of other nationalities and only a few English that I've seen. We could be out-shouted in the bar tonight depending on how the other nationalities view the Brits these days especially in the light of Brexit.

It is very strange: I have no problems at all supporting England in football yet I have to force myself in rugby. Come on, England! At least when Beckham was playing there was a reason to watch football …


2 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

NO!! Avoid hairy caterpillars because they can be poisonous … might bring you out in a painful rash or something. There will be a poster in the local pharmacie with a picture of the guilty ones but it's really easier just to avoid them altogether.
Apart from that, carry on having a lovely time!

Liz Hinds said...

Oh gosh! Thank you for the warning. There don't seem to be any here now we've moved on to the South.