Sunday, July 22, 2018

A first for me

Today, in the privacy of my own garden, I did something I've never done before - and you'll be amazed. Not because of what I did but that I haven't done it before.

I grew up swimming in the sea. I didn't go in a pool until I was in grammar school and we were bussed down to Swansea Baths for our weekly lesson where the teacher concentrated on making sure we could swim and possibly advance to diving - I didn't. So the thing I never did was ... jump into the pool.

Today I was lying in the sun psyching myself up for ages. My children and grandchildren do it and I mean what's the worse that can happen. If I jump in there are three possible outcomes:
a) I love it (unlikely);
b) I hate it in which case I don't have to do it again;
c) I die in which case I don't have to do it again.

I prodded Husband who was lying next to me listening to music. I told him what I was going to do. 'I want you to watch in case I don't come up.'

Standing on the edge of the pool the water seemed a dreadfully long way down. I know it's only inches but that gap had always been enough to deter me. But today I 'felt the fear and did it anyway!' After two fails that ended up with me sort of jumping in from a sitting position. 

Not only did I jump in but I did it again. And again later to prove to myself I actually did it.

Next week I fly to the moon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAYYY! I could almost feel the water right up my nose into my sinuses reading this.
good for YOU!