Tuesday, May 22, 2018

She would have been 97 today

It would have been my mother's 97th birthday today. I feel I should write something but on searching my blog I find I've already written plenty. Here's a link to one post that says most of what I would say.

However it is perhaps a good moment to encourage you - it's too late for me after all - to appreciate your parents and show them how much they mean to you.

My mother died about ten days after her first stroke but for that time in hospital didn't know me. It was too late then to sit at her bedside and tell her I loved her or ask her about how she'd felt when she had me or any of the other hundreds of questions I still have.

My mum, great-gran, gran and me: four generations living in the same house.


2 comments:

Rose said...

I think we all have regrets about things we wish we had said or time we wish we had taken when it comes to our loved ones. I was able to spend more time with my mother the last six months of her life, but I wish I had told her more often how much I loved her. Sending hugs your way, Liz.

nick said...

There are lots of questions I'd like to ask my 96 year old mum but she's got to the point where she's no longer interested in her past and doesn't want to talk about it. My knowledge of her life is very sparse, but that's how she wants it.