Tuesday, May 16, 2017

If you see this woman

If I looked like this today, with the country on terrorist alert, I doubt they would let me back in.
That was my passport from 1973, for my first trip abroad, which happened to be to Mombasa in Kenya.
We went on an oceanography field trip, stayed in college dorms, spent mornings on the beach, ate lunch in posh hotels, and generally enjoyed ourselves. Our professor got his feet sunburned the first day there and spent several days in bed; our lecturer and his girlfriend (one of us students) smoked weed, while the most adventurous thing I did was to dance in a nightclub - I'd always been so shy I'd refused to dance in public before. Brown Sugar will forever have a special place in my heart.

And what did I learn? That if sand squeaks when you walk on it it means it has a high percentage of quartz. Worth going.


1 comment:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

You did also learn not to go to sleep with your feet sticking out from under the beach umbrella , one of life's most essential lessons .