Wednesday, May 31, 2017

An alternative manifesto

I managed to jot down the gist of the questions and answers from this particular candidate being interviewed recently.

Interviewer: Let’s begin with the hot topic of immigration and refugees.
Candidate: I was a child refugee. Although I don’t remember much about it my parents told me how hard it was escaping to and settling in a foreign country, with a different language and customs, and how grateful they were to be taken in when their lives were in danger in their homeland. So I would pursue a policy of actively welcoming refugees.’

‘Okay, so what about housing?’
‘Again I have experience of being homeless. I have been very grateful to friends who have let me sleep on their floor, but more often than not, I’ve slept rough, under bushes, at the sides of roads, and I don’t have to tell you how cold it gets at night or how risky it is. A safe home for everyone has to be a priority.’

‘Your education policy?’
‘I am a firm believer in an equal education for everyone. One’s academic progress should not be hampered by race, gender or background.’

‘And health?’
‘As I’ve travelled around the country I have met people with all kinds of illnesses, some who are unable to work, some whose illnesses have made lepers out of them. Good healthcare for all is a priority for me.’   

‘You’ve also made clear your views on foreign policy.’
‘It’s corny but I’m a believer in loving your neighbour. Treat them as you would want them to treat you, indeed as you’d treat yourself.’

‘You’ve been criticised on occasion for the company you keep.’
‘You mean when I’ve eaten with the elite?’
The interviewer laughed. ‘I was thinking more of the other end of the social scale. Even one of your closest aides has something of a dodgy reputation.’
‘It’s important that I get my message across to every level of society. The poor will always be with us but I believe it’s up to those who are able to provide for them.’

‘Recently the world seemed to teeter on the brink of war; how would you deal with that?’
‘If you’ve read my manifesto you’ll know the value I place on keeping the peace. I fully endorse and commend those who will act as peacekeepers rather than war-mongers.

‘What about taxation?’
‘I think I have made my views on taxation clear: everyone (here he stressed everyone) who is eligible to pay has a duty to contribute their fair share.’

‘So you want good housing, education, and healthcare; you want to work alongside our neighbours and you’re willing to welcome more people into the country. How do you intend to pay for all this?’
‘I’m willing to pay the price.’
The interviewer laughed. ‘I’m sorry? What do you mean by saying you’ll pay?’
‘I will pay whatever it takes to be able to offer justice, compassion and freedom to all people.’

All we have to do is accept the offer and throw our hand in with Jesus to try in our small corner to make the world a better place. 
June 8 and always Make the Cross Count.



2 comments:

Sharon said...

I like this version.

Liz Hinds said...

If only, SJ.