Friday, December 09, 2016

Two times I didn't do something stupid

These moments don't come often so need recording for posterity.

A registrar visited me in the middle of the night. I'd only just managed to fall asleep so what he said was a bit of a blur but he did tell me that about one of my blood tests, which I think may have been a marker for inflammation or something else entirely. 
'It should be 10,' he said, 'but yours is 145.'
What I thought was, 'Holy smoke, Batman, that's impressive'; what I said was, 'Wow.'
Pretty restrained, yes?

Then you know those little tube things that patients have in them so stuff can be piped straight in? I had to have one for dye before my scan. It took the doctor four - yes 4 - attempts to get it in.
'You must have very windy veins,' she said. (That's windy not windy.)
And the amazing thing? I didn't faint. As someone who's fainted when just visiting a patient and has been banned from blood giving I thought it was quite something.

3 comments:

Ole Phat Stu said...

Yes, I know those little tube things that patients have put in them so stuff can be piped straight in. I had one put in my arm for a short-term knockout while I was getting a walk-in walk-out internal bladder inspection (I didn't want to even see that let alone feel it!).

At home that evening, going to bed, I took off my shirt only to find the clinic had left it in my arm! Shoddy quality control indeed :-(

So I looked away while the missus pulled it straight out :-) WHEW !!!

Liz Hinds said...

A lot easier coming out than going in!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I'm intrigued ... what did the registrar expect you to do with the information in the middle of the night ? Google it ?
Meanwhile , I hope that you , windy veins and all , are feeling much better now and are pain free .