Wednesday, November 02, 2016

I was very brave

I invented a recipe. Normally I am a great one for sticking to rules and recipes but of late I've been a little more daring and my specially-invented pumpkin soup was well received at Zac's. I thought it was too salty but everyone enjoyed it nevertheless. So here is my recipe for:

Halloween Soup
All quantities are very rough
1kg chopped pumpkin flesh
2 large onions
bacon
1" ginger grated
3 cloves garlic
2l chicken stock
creme fraiche (about half a tub)

Roast the pumpkin in oil with a little added drizzle of maple syrup if you like. Meanwhile saute the onions until soft then add garlic, ginger and bacon. Continue cooking until bacon is cooked. Add pumpkin and stock and simmer for about 30 minutes. Whizz. Stir in creme fraiche and check seasoning (I added salt and pepper when cooking and needn't have added salt as there was plenty from the bacon and stock).

While we're on the topic of made-up recipes here's my recipe for: 

gluten-free Welshcakes
8oz gf self-raising flour
4 oz margarine (or butter)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
3 oz caster sugar
3 oz sultanas
1 egg
pinch salt

Rub the fat and flour (and cinnamon, baking powder and xanthan gum) together. Stir in the sultanas and sugar. Add the beaten egg and make a sticky dough.

With well-floured hands and surface, squish together and flatten. It may be easier if you divide into smaller pieces. When it's about this thick - I don't know, maybe 3/4 cm - cut into circles and cook on a pre-heated and greased griddle. Be patient and cook slowly. Cool and sprinkle with sugar. Eat quickly because they will disappear otherwise.

No comments: