Sunday, February 21, 2016

The first and the sixth

Seven years ago on Mother's Day Daughter and Son-in-law gave me a present and then said, 'There is another one but you'll have to wait until November for it.' I sat there, slightly bemused, wondering what it could be that I'd have to wait months for.

A couple of years later, this time, at Christmas, Elder Son and Daughter-in-law handed us an envelope: it was a card with a teddy bear on it. 'That's an unusual Christmas card,' I thought.

Last week, just  seven days before Younger Son and Nuora were due to leave for Malaysia, YS announced, 'Nuora's not coming back to Malaysia with me. She's going back to Italy to stay.' All kinds of catastrophes rushed through my head. Then he added, 'Because we're having a baby.'
The sneaky pair had been secretly visiting the doctor and the midwife and had had a scan. Beautiful baby - and my sixth grandchild - is due late August and I am one hippy happy hoppy bunny!

Sadly the expectant parents will be apart for the next six months as YS has to go back to the islands to finish his PhD research - thank goodness for skype - but he will return for the birth (obviously) and we will booking a holiday in Italy for early September!

6 comments:

mrsnesbitt said...

Congratulations Liz and your lovely gang.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Congratulations to you, and of course parents to be.

Liz Hinds said...

Thanks both!

Anonymous said...

Amazing news - such a fertile family.
Switch back 61 years and my father left his fairly new and now expectant wife back in Britain to join his posting to Aden. My mother travelled a few months later (it took 3 days) and had me in the RAF hospital safely. But what a journey in both physical and emotional terms. Only yesterday, we talked more about the conditions she encountered. I have a better understanding about her now. I will be even happier when I have written her story. She'll be here in April and we will begin.
All the very best to Mr & Mrs YS!

Liz Hinds said...

Thanks, Shirl. x

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Wonderful news ! Congratulations to you all .