Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Another first for me!

Today we walked out to the end of the Worm. It took us one and a half hours to get out there and one hour to get back. From the base of the cliff that is. Add another 20-30 minutes on each way for climbing back up the hill and walking to and from the car park. No wonder we're all - George included - ready for bed.

You have to time your visit carefully as the headland is cut off at high tide and it's further and trickier than you might expect. Well, really there's only one tricky bit that is between the first and second headlands. On the way out we scrambled up and down sharp rocks made slippery by the hundreds of boots that have tramped over them no doubt. George really struggled in places and occasionally husband had to give him a bunk up and once we had to find an alternative way. Mostly though he acts as though he has mountain goat blood.
On the way back we took the flatter - and seaweedy - route. 
I'm not certain but I think this might be raw laverbread.
Every now and again George decided he had to retrieve a stone from the bottom of a rock pool and bring it with him. 

One of the highlights, apart from actually being on the Worm after all these years, was seeing seals sunbathing on the rocks.
The view to the end from the first headland. As you may imagine the scariest bit was crossing over that 'bridge', a narrow rocky passageway, in the wind. I had to pretend I was Indiana Jones.

The only disappointing part of the day was the tea and cake afterwards. The only cafe open is a little bistro that may very well do excellent home-made burgers but its cakes are mass produced.

Last time I had Victoria sponge. I never normally have sponge out because my home-made is too good! But this one looked nice so I thought I should break the habit of a lifetime; I shouldn't have. Today it was chocolate brownie. It was probably all right as shop brownies go but mine are much better. In a place like Rhossilli there just should be a marvellous little tea shop. Toilets are pretty manky too. The public ones that is not the ones in the cafe.

Before we made our way home I returned again to visit the tiny little church of St Mary the Virgin. On the wall inside is a plaque to local man Edgar Evans, who died in 1912 with Captain Scott on their return journey from the South Pole.
There's also a lovely window dedicated to the first bishop of Northern Nigeria.


Katney said...

Seeing some of the scrambling and that bridge, I think I am glad the time was in when we were there. Glad you got to go, though.

Liz Hinds said...

It wasn't the easiest of walks, katney.