Friday, August 16, 2013

An expensive night out

When Husband said, 'Do you want to go out for a meal tonight?' I didn't hesitate. It's not that I don't like baked beans on toast - I love them very much - just that I'm not going to turn down an offer when I get one.

So we went to the Brasserie for simple food, well cooked. My fish soup was one of the best I've had and the chips are always divine - especially the crumbs: I love the crispy bits. For my main, as neither the hake nor the sea bass looked brilliant, I thought I'd give the turbot a try.

Well, it was huge but not especially tasty. Husband's argument that flat fish aren't doesn't hold water. I just felt it needed something extra that it was lacking although I'm not sure what. The brasserie is one of those places where you go to the counter to choose what you want and they weigh it for you there. I pointed to the fish and the lad weighed it for me. He said something; I couldn't hear him so I asked him to say it again. He repeated himself and I still didn't hear him so I just nodded. Big mistake.

My fish cost £36!!!!! And I didn't even enjoy it very much.

And we got back to the car to find we had a parking ticket ...

I don't think we'll be going out again for a while. And we'll be eating a lot of beans on toast.

4 comments:

nick said...

Oh dear, a rather chequered outing! At least they haven't started weighing our purchases in the supermarket yet....

Liz Hinds said...

I definitely came home feeling less thrilled than I should have been having eaten out, nick.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne in Oxfordshire said...

I don't think I would be going back to that place Liz, and poor you getting a parking ticket after getting ripped off with your tasteless fish ,, :-(((