Sunday, April 08, 2012

With friends like this

I knew there was something else I meant to say.


In church this morning I was sitting next to Debs. I haven't seen her properly for ages so we were nattering a bit so when Chris said something about sharing bread and wine Debs nudged me - I was sitting at the end of the row - and said, 'Come on, let's go and get it.'
I said, 'Hang on. Chris hasn't finished pouring the wine out yet.'
'I want to go early cos I have a condition,' Debs said, Les-Dawson like. 'I don't want an infection.'


Well, we were so busy talking about this we didn't hear what else Chris said, so when he'd stepped away from the table I said, 'Okay, we'll go up now.' (There's no dramatic performance about giving out the sacrament;  bread and wine is put out on a table and people can go up as they want to fetch it.)


Now when one person goes up everyone else usually follows on quickly but it was just Deb and me. We stood there silently eating our bread and drinking our wine, before hurrying back to our seats and wondering why no-one else was going up. 


The song went on and Deb and I looked at each. 
The song finished and Chris and a couple of others moved the table from the back to the middle of the congregation and then it was like the floodgates opened.


Afterwards Deb blamed me: 'She went up first!'
And I blamed Deb: 'Only because she pushed me!'


I knew we should have taken the holier-than-thou route and said, 'We were led by the Spirit.'


No comments: