Thursday, March 08, 2012

Read all about it

Here's the official blurb for This Time Next Year:


When her decree absolute arrives in the post with her 50th birthday cards Alison Turner wonders if life can get any worse.
When the highlights of the last year include being told off by the plumber for ‘putting feminine items of hygiene down the lavatory’, and her husband leaving her for a 28-year-old ‘bimbo’, it’s easy to understand why Alison exclaims in her diary, ‘I do not want another year like that. I must get a new plumber.’
But if the romantic aspect of Alison’s life leaves a lot to be desired (including sex, which is something both her parents and her daughter appear to be enjoying) the everyday aspect is full of incident.
In a year of well-intentioned ineptitude, Alison is thrown out of a pub for the first time in her life, begins to diet eight times (at least), finds out twelve unappealing things about dogs and discovers that first impressions can sometimes be misleading.

P.S. I asked Husband if he was going to read my novel. He said, 'No, it's not my sort of book.' And he wonders why I'm on internet dating sites. Oh, no, wait, that's not me; that's Alison.
P.P.S. Husband was a long time at the DIY shop yesterday so I foolishly imagined he'd stopped on the way back to buy me flowers or chocolate to celebrate publication. We've been married 33 years so you'd think I'd know better by now.
He's taking me out to dinner this evening instead (my suggestion/command).
P.P.P.S. And I have my first radio interview booked! 

7 comments:

NitWit1 said...

Congratulations on your first novel. and INTERVIEW???

I hope you sell out and it makes it to your shores, too.

NEW YORK TIMES, maybe. DREAM BIG!

Suburbia said...

Wow Liz, that's all amazing!

Ann Marie said...

Lovely party, lovely book, lovely lady. Congratulations and best wishes. Just tore myself away from reading your book to come and leave a comment.

A virtual book launch, now there's an idea...

nick said...

Husband isn't going to read it because "it's not his sort of book"? Has he no loyalty? No generosity? Send him round here and I'll sort him out.

Hey, this cake is absolutely superb. What's the secret ingredient?

Liz Hinds said...

I wish, nitwit!

Thanks, Sub.

Thank you, Ann! And for all your advice.

Love, Nick, that's the secret ingredient.

sally in norfolk said...

Think I might like to read it... :-)

Anonymous said...

Are we able to get them from you through church? Debs
I would like to read. :) cleverness