Monday, March 12, 2012

A cake without sugar

I have been asked - nay, instructed - by one of the Zac's regulars to make her a diabetic birthday cake this week. She said, 'Just make me a sponge using sweetener and a little bit of jam,' so I've bought that but not content I thought I'd do a bit of googling for diabetic recipes. Most seem to be on American sites and I don't like the cup measurements and some of them sound a bit dubious anyway. So I'll try what she suggested (and make some cookies for everyone else as well in case the cake is a disaster!) But browsing led me to the 'best diabetic birthday cake ever' courtesy of Diabetically Mind Numbing.


I love it!

4 comments:

CherryPie said...

The cake in this pic looks delicious :)

How about this link for some ideas...

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/recipes/default.aspx

CherryPie said...

Whilst browsing on there, I just found this one.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/recipes/no-bake-diabetic-fruit-cake.html

Liz Hinds said...

Thanks, cherie. I've been told it's got to be a sponge cake!

NitWit1 said...

Yep! probably the best alternative and healthier if not fried!!

I use a sweetener called Splenda which can be used to make cakes and cookies. They even publish a cook book. But cakes and cookies, pie crusts, etc. have other carbs which diabetics have to consider, too.