Tuesday, February 28, 2012

What day to publish?

One of the things I was contemplating when walking was publication date. I wanted to generate interest before publication - that's under way - and I don't want to leave it too long or interest will have waned or everyone will be sick of the sight and sound of my book title.


So I should aim for sooner rather than later, which brings me on to my next question: what day of the week is best for publishing a book? 


I felt sure there would be some wise advice on Goggle but I was disappointed so I'll have to work it out for myself. One page did suggest Friday as it's often payday but I can't see that being a factor for a cheap eBook. Plus blog traffic wanes towards and over the weekend indicating that people - my readers at least - spend most time on the internet during the working week.


Monday isn't a good day, partly because it's too early in the week partly because I'm in work and I want to be flagging my novel like mad when it's published.


So that leaves Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. My Tuesdays are pretty busy and I just don't like Wednesday. Don't get me wrong; I like the hours on a Wednesday that tend to be my slopabout times but there's just something about it. Is it the name I don't like? Maybe it originates from the children's rhyme, Wednesday's child is full of woe (incidentally I'm a Wednesday's child).


So that leaves Thursday. This coming Thursday, March 1st, St. David's day, would be a good time ... but I'm not ready yet! Could I be? Is it too soon? Hmm. What do you think?

3 comments:

Ole Phat Stu said...

For my (paper) books in the 1980s there was a mild peak 9 weeks after publication, ignoring the pre-orders for my textbooks, due to favourable reviews.
So get readers to write (nice) reviews:-)

The order curve was otherwise fairly flat and petered out after 2->3 years.
2nd and 3rd editions were not worth the effort put into updating the (text) books.
Obviously, the edition concept does not apply to Ebooks anyway.

Liz Hinds said...

I won't ask you to write a review then, stu!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hope you had a good St David's Day, Liz. Did you publish? Let us know!