Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A success and a failure

Tried out 2 new recipes today: Gary Rhodes' slow-roasted belly pork and Hummingbird Bakery coconut jam sandwich.


I was in M&S looking for dinner inspiration and saw the belly pork. Husband's had it a few times when we've eaten out so I thought I'd give it a go, but as you see from the photo it wasn't entirely successful. 
It wasn't a complete failure - the meat tasted quite nice - but the top and the tin that were supposed to have a nice caramelised coating were just black. And the meat was a bit chewy. 
Pork isn't my favourite meat but I hoped the slow-roasting and the fat would make it tastier. So it's back to the drawing board for belly pork, methinks. I've been through a few of my recipe books and none of them mention belly pork; I assume that's because my books are mostly old and it's only recently found its way back into fashion.

I had more success with my coconut jam sandwich from one of my Christmas present cookbooks. I'll see how it goes down with the Zac's mob tonight but I like it very much.

4 comments:

NitWit1 said...

One of the hits in my neck of the woods is smoked pork butt. I love it (except the calories). When I find someone who really knows how to smoke I buy two or three and freeze them, then shred the meat for Memphis Style Smoked Pork Sandwiches which are served with cole slaw on top of the shredded port.

I bet I would love the coconut jam sandwiches as coconut is a favorite flavor.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

The top one doesn't look a failure to me! The biccies look great. Happy New Year to all of you and woofs from Simi to George. xx

Liz Hinds said...

Those sandwiches sound great, nitwit.

Thank you, welshcakes and to you.

Liz Hinds said...

Those sandwiches sound great, nitwit.

Thank you, welshcakes and to you.