Monday, May 23, 2011

The novel is finished!

I have finished the novel!!!

Sort of. First draft anyway. I know there are changes and additions I need to make to it but the base is there now on which I can work.

73, 922 words. Are they any good? Who knows? I thought novel 1 was funny and entertaining but not a single agent agreed with me. This novel is gloomy and painful, much more authentically 'my voice', but would anyone want to read it? Husband asked me that before asking if I'd want to read it. 'Good heavens, no! But I'm obviously no judge of a good book.'

Now I will start on the rejection trail otherwise known as submitting to agents. With Novel 1 I was convinced they would be fighting over each other to buy the rights and I'd already cast Alan Rickman as the hero in the film. Umpteen disappointments later I promise myself I will begin this time with no hope - although I know that is impossible. I will continue to dream and imagine and hope for publication.

I feel depressed at the thought of what I am letting myself in for. That's no good: I have completed a novel; I should be celebrating. Maybe tomorrow I will feel more like it.

11 comments:

Mike Tea said...

I am truly impressed and not a little envious. Stick with it and tell yourself at any and every rejection "they are wrong and I am right." C'mon!

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

You certainly should be celebrating Liz... You have a dream and it could come true .. keep going for it .

I can hardly write a page on the blog .. I always try to write more, but it takes too long as I think people will think it boring , so I delete it... At the moment I have not goals .. well not achievable ones .. something might just click in my brain ..:-)

BeeWild said...

Congratulations Mother! Just remember that Harry Potter got rejected many many times before becoming a childrens classic. Have faith! Your time will come!

Katney said...

Gloomy and painful seems to be what people do want to read. I would rather read the first one, but I will read this one when it is out. I might even buy it in hardback!

Steve Hayes said...

Congratulations!

I don't get rejections -- I can't get anyone to read enough to decide they want to reject it.

Ole Phat Stu said...

Well done, Liz!

Mail me a sample chapter for (private) feedback if you like.

Novels are the hardest to do; While I only published one novel, I did 6 textbooks, which are far easier, because you know all the stuff, you 'just'(!) have to structure it.

Dragonstar said...

Congratulations Liz! Finishing is the first real hurdle. Now we'll all be sending you strong positive vibes. Good luck!

CherryPie said...

Well done and good luck with the submissions :-)

Liz Hinds said...

Thanks, all. In many ways I think the most difficult part is to come!

nick said...

Congratulations! Having tried it, I know how hard it is to complete a novel (I didn't, writer's block got the better of me). Send it to every publisher you can think of. You know what they say, 49 rejections and then bingo, the 50th publisher takes it on.

MaryB said...

You are so, so far ahead of me. I'm not worthy. Do celebrate!