Sunday, May 01, 2011

Great little trains of Wales

Just behind our garden and along a bit is the home of the Swansea Steam and Model Engine Society. On Bank Holidays they open to the public for train rides. I haven't been for a few years as my children refuse to come with me but, this year, Younger Son promised to take Girlfriend on them so I went too!

It costs 20p to get in and then rides cost 50p so we could have a few. First of all we went on the Canadian Pacific but that's a modern electric one so, though faster, wasn't as good as the proper steam engine that we went on next.
This one smells like old trains and makes the right whistling noise when going through the tunnel.
You don't really need to duck to go through the tunnel but it's hard not to.

2 comments:

Rose said...

This looks like so much fun, Liz! Reminds me of when I was young--my Dad loved all things related to trains, and we often went to railroad exhibits, especially ones with the old steam engines. There was a small amusement park in a nearby town that had a small train like this, too; it was always a treat to go and take a ride.

Off to Daughter's wedding in Cancun this week!

CherryPie said...

It looks like such a lot of fun :-)