Monday, February 28, 2011

Folding glasses

I started this post an hour or so ago but was so tired I didn't have the energy to do it. But now I'm back!

I called in to see my uncle today and he gave me two jewellery boxes that belonged to his late wife. 'She's been dead 17 years now,' he said, 'so I thought it was time to do something with them.'

A lot of the jewellery isn't my style but it did include this pretty little ring and these posh lady glasses. (I don't know what you'd call them really but they made me think of Lady Magnolia taking them out to peer at and inspect her grandson's choice of girlfriend.) And they magically fold up! In fact I didn't realise they were glasses until Husband pointed it out.





I know what my uncle means though about getting rid of stuff.

With the arrival of our new bed I've had a grand clear-out of bed linen but amongst the sheets and quilt covers I found a load of lacy doilies and runners that went under the ornaments on my gran's sideboard. I'm never going to use them but I couldn't throw them out. So they're back in a drawer under the bed.

7 comments:

nick said...

The folding lady glasses are amazing. The sort of craftmanship it's hard to find these days.

Leslie: said...

I love the ring! Amethyst and diamonds??? Would make a gorgeous engagement ring. And I know what you mean about the doilies - my mother's are neatly stacked in my linen cupboard.

CherryPie said...

That is a very pretty ring :-)

I struggle to throw perfectly functional things away. I don't mind giving things away so maybe I should make more use of the charity shops.

Katney said...

I was reading a blog the other day where the blogger threw five things away every day--things like the package of red pom poms she didn't know why she had, and all the pens in the house that don't work. I've been eyeballing the papier maiche rooster bottle on top of the hutch ever since.

The idea itself makes me nervous.

Gledwood said...

Oh they're glasses for vain people (I nearly spelled that "vein", ahem). I want some!

Gledwood said...

The verification word now says snessac which reminds me of the Welsh saesneg, meaning "English"... ukk is this relevant to anything? Probably not but hey!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

English people are Sassenachs where I come from .
Of course you must keep all the jewellery.... Grandaughter will love it !