Sunday, January 23, 2011

Anything to put off the ironing

I have a huge pile of ironing to do so, in procrastination mode, I'm sitting here thinking of things to ramble about.

Younger Son and Girlfriend have gone swimming with sharks diving in the Red Sea this week. After a time when it looked as if they might not be able to go, and then, today, a flight delayed by 5 hours, they're finally in the air and on their way. So Husband and I have the house to ourselves for a week. I've just put dinner on to cook and it's very hard to cook for two.

Dinner tonight is of my own invention. Its working title is Moroccan Lamb Shanks on Orange Stuff although I think that needs a little thought.

What else? Ah, yes, book and CD reviews.

When I read that Ray Davies (of the Kinks) had a new CD out I put it on my Christmas list. Called See My Friends it features remakes of old Kinks songs sung by Ray Davies and friends (as the title suggests), including Bruce Springsteen, Jon Bon Jovi and others I've never heard of.

On first listening I wasn't keen and wondered if it had been a good choice but it's grown on me and now I love it. All the favourites are there including Lola and Waterloo Sunset as well as less familiar (to me) ones. The new takes on the songs are great and the words, of course, remain excellent and as relevant today as they were back in the 60s.

Bookwise I've just finished One Dance in Paris, which can only be described as a fairy tale. It takes a tall skinny streetwise girl from Boston and makes her the star of the Folies Bergere in Paris via a circuitous route. She's a nice character and it's an entertaining story as long as you're prepared to suspend disbelief.

I still haven't read A Prayer for Owen Meany. Alun mentioned it when he was still working with me so it must be about 2 years ago now. He was amazed that I hadn't read it. Not read it? I hadn't even heard of it. I must check out the author and look in the library when I return One Dance. Also on my bedside table is Catcher in the Rye, another classic I haven't read. Husband gave it to me for Christmas. (I bought it as part of a 3 for the price of 2 offer in Waterstone's and gave it to him to give to me.)

Now I'm definitely running out of things to write and the ironing is shouting. Phooey.


8 comments:

nick said...

If only the iron hadn't been invented, we would have one less chore and a lot more spare time. And ultra-creased clothes would be the height of fashion.

Leslie: said...

A Prayer for Owen Meany is a novel by American writer John Irving, first published in 1989. It tells the story of John Wheelwright and his best friend Owen Meany growing up together in a small New England town during the 1950-60s. Owen is a remarkable boy in many ways; he believes himself to be God's instrument and journeys on a truly extraordinary path. I saw the movie which also starred Ashley Judd. Well worth the read plus see the movie afterwards! :D

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I'm with you on ironing! I think the name for your dish is great.

mrsnesbitt said...

Days is my favourite Kinks song. We are getting a juke box later this year so I am building up my ideas for a collection.

mrsnesbitt said...

By the way - did you hear about the guy who rang a neighbour demanding some hot action? She sent the ironing! lol!

Furtheron said...

I heard some of the Ray Davis CD but wasn't too impressed straight off... maybe it is a grower though

Now get on with the ironing ;-)

Liz Hinds said...

Let's campaign to get rid of the iron, nick. The trouble is I've been too conditioned now not to iron.

I shall look for it in the library tomorrow, leslie. Thank you.

You can tell I'm a writer, welshcakes, with my wonderful use of words!

A jukebox, wow! A proper old-fashioned one, mrs n?

Nice one, mrs n. I'll have to try that on Husband.

I think it is, furtheron. It's done!

Mauigirl said...

I love, love, love Ray Davies (and the Kinks). I always feel Ray is and has always been the most intelligent rock artist in the whole rock and roll - movement? If that's what you call it. His lyrics are amazing and as you point out, still pertinent today. Thanks for the heads up on the new CD, will have to get it.