Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Are we there yet?

I have an ambivalent attitude to holidays: I enjoy them when I'm there but never look forward to them. At least, not until I'm actually on my way. But the excitement has arrived early and I'm feeling rather jolly in an anticipatory way today. I'm also feeling organised, which inevitably means I've forgotten something. Husband does all the important official stuff - I am such a girly - and all I have to do is pack and sort out the house and do the washing and ironing and leave food for Younger Son and George and make flapjacks for YS and blog about my holiday.

So maybe it was PHT that made me impatient in Zac's last night.

There were lots of people - about 30 - but a few who just had to talk. And talk. And talk. And go off the point into irrelevancies. I suppose we always have our share of such but normally it doesn't bother me too much: I just stop listening.

My trouble is that I talk as I write: briefly. This makes me useless in discussions or even conversations, but I can't see the point in going over the same thing umpteen times in different ways. But I am a woman of small brain and it's a good job that everyone isn't like me.

Anyway, I wouldn't want you thinking that Zac's is totally perfect ...

But we had a good chat afterwards about the recent death of Gareth's scorpion, Kaiser, and about his collection of spiders. I now know more about the mating habits of the spider than is really necessary. After all, it's not something I'll be able to raise in dinner party conversations.

Which leads me neatly into Gareth's question: which ten people, dead or alive, would you like to invite to dinner?

When pressed, I said, 'No-one as I don't like people,' but thinking about it, I'd just be terribly boring and say my family (Husband, Daughter, Son-in-law, Elder Son, Daughter-in-law, Younger Son, Girlfriend, GrandDaughter, George and Holly) as they're the ones I am most comfortable with and can almost be myself with. Anyone else and the mask goes on.

3 comments:

Furtheron said...

Funny you are one of the last people I'd have thought needed to put on a mask for others. You seem so confident in yourself.

I suppose we all put on a degree of a mask to others but these days more and more I find I don't have to, I'm happy being me, some people don't have a problem with that so fine, for those that have a problem with me being me, that is their problem :-)

NitWit1 said...

I have different masks for different occasions, but if I am in a comfortable setting I babble too much instead of listening.

I am uncannily quiet on first few meetings, until I become comfortable.

Leslie: said...

I'm like you in that I can't see the point of going over the same topic from so many viewpoints - a few are enough! And by the way, when you get to know ME, you'll be able to be yourself. :)