Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Smart or lazy? The jury is out

We can't decide if George is very smart or very lazy.

Picture this. We're in the woods when we meet a lively little dog. He wants to play chase. He runs up to George and then runs away. George chases him - for about 5 seconds, then he sits down. Little dog continues to run for a short time then goes back to George who chases him again for 5 seconds then sits. And so it goes on, little dog doing ten times as much running as George.

Now does this mean George is lazy - as I suspect - or very smart - as Younger Son insists? 'He knows the other dog will come back to him so why bother chasing?'

A third possibility has occurred to me.

Sometimes George and I play chase. He will come to me with a ball and I'll get up and get chase him - for about 5 seconds. Then I go and hide and wait for him to come looking for me when I'll leap out and say, 'BOO!'

Maybe George is copying my behaviour without the hiding, leaping out and saying boo bits. That would explain it.

7 comments:

The Fairweather Blogger said...

George is obviously a very clever dog. Good to see him mimicking your game of hide and seek, or peek-a-boo. (Without the hiding, seeking, peeking or boo-ing!) Clever George.

Gary

jams o donnell said...

He's clever enough to have you wrapped around whichever digit is his little finger!

CalumCarr said...

Perhaps you're both lazy. :)

Lia said...

My mother breed dogs as a hobby and was always saying that dogs reflect their owner!!!!

I'm going with smart, defo smart.

Much love
Lia
xx

NitWit1 said...

I vote for George being smart. why waster all that energy on a little brat who keeps teasing and egging you on?

Luckie likes me to find her and retrieve the toy after I throw it. I refuse to pay by her rules. We usually have a stalemate after two tosses.

Furtheron said...

Smart - clearly

Rose said...

Definitely an indication of George's superior intelligence.