Wednesday, July 08, 2009

90 today - or maybe yesterday

Auntie Joan (my great-aunt and widow of Uncle Horace) is 90 today. Although when I went to visit her, expecting her to have lots of visitors, she was alone, and from the number of cards she had already on display, and some of her comments, I was led to ask, 'It is your birthday today, isn't it?'
'Well, I found my long-lost birth certificate and actually I was born on the 7th July.'
Oh. And it seems that most people except me knew that. But she's not having her party until Saturday afternoon anyway.

And she was very pleased with my present (seen below - please excuse the reflection in the glass). 'Where did you get that photo from?!'

It turns out that the 'young Joan' photo was the one Uncle Horace carried in his wallet when he was in the RAF during the war.

4 comments:

Lia said...

What a grand photo of your aunt, she must have been chuffed to get that.
Tell her I am thinking of taking a leaf out of her book and "loosing" my birth cert', sounds like a great plan, that way I can stay at 40, ok! 42, oh! alright, 45....I'm going on higher.

much love Lia xx

Anonymous said...

What a really clever idea! The two pics look really good in the frame and will make a lovely talking point when she has visitors.
Wendy (Wales)

Leslie: said...

Tell her from me that I think she has a beautiful smile! And give her a Canadian hug, too. :D

jmb said...

A lovely present Liz, for your venerable aunt.
This reminds of the story of my Chinese "twin". We are born the same day and year and on our 70th we went celebrating together.

Then she said, "I'm not really sure if it is Nov 8th or not. When I went to school they asked my birth date, but I only knew it according to the Chinese calendar. My sister said Nov 8th. So that's what it became ever since,although it is around then."