Friday, April 10, 2009

Time to convert

Sometimes I am very tempted to become a Muslim. The time it takes me to get reasonably presentable in order to go out (Younger Son looked at me this morning and said, 'You're not going out like that, are you?') gets longer by the year and some days there is very little I can do to conceal the wild hair, baggy eyes, sagging jowls, flopping belly. On those days I could do with a burkha.

Or to travel back in time and become a Victorian.

I used to have nice legs but my knees have gone grumpy. I still have shapely ankles though. I was thinking this as I was drying my hair yesterday - which might explain the wildness. Showing just a little ankle I could get away with a lot.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Accept thy self! That for me, is the cardinal rule of aging. Besides, Liz, I am sure that the beauty of your soul shines through beyond any sign of aging.

Leslie: said...

As Nick says, accept thyself! Hah! Easier said than done, right? I still have nice feet! lol Everything else is as you say, flopping or creased. I wonder if there is such a thing as a body iron. In the meantime, I'm trying out L'Oreal's new collagen creams! Pray for me! lol

nick said...

I don't know why burkas are associated only with women. A lot of men I see could do with a burka to cover up those hideous beer bellies and burgeoning middle-age flab.

I'm sure you're nothing like as unattractive as you make out. Women are ridiculously self-critical.

jmb said...

Well that is why I wear a hat so often. Covers up a lot of hair sins.

I still have nice... I'll think of something sooner or later.

YTSL said...

Errrrr... not all Muslim women wear burkhas! :DDDD

And have to say that I know A LOT of beauty-conscious Muslim women... ;)

Furtheron said...

Not sure that is the best reason to convert Liz.. :-)

My daughter though has said she things it is a good religion but I think her interest in fashion and make up, pop music etc. might be an issue... :-)

Devonshire Dumpling said...

Liz, you are not aging! (you are simply taking on an antique patina)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I told Raffaele once that if he didn't get my haor right I'd convert to Islam and wear the scarf. I can't show my arms since I lost weight - they're all scraggy!