Thursday, April 09, 2009

Here we go again

I spotted it as soon as I got through the door. The envelope, the SAEd one, sitting on the sideboard. I knew straightaway what it was: the first rejection for my second novel. As I took my shoes off I told myself, 'hey, ho, not to worry,' but, in spite of knowing what it was, at that point, when I hadn't opened the envelope, there was still a teeny tiny smidgin of hope that it said, 'We love it - send the rest!'

Obviously it didn't.

And, in spite of myself, a grey cloud comes to sit above my head. I remember all the other rejections and I think: do I really want to go through that again?

Of course I will. But right now I need chocolate. And I don't have any!!!

P.S. The closest I have to country and western music is Jool Holland's Moving Out to the Country CD, so I'm wallowing in Darkness on the Face of the Earth, I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, Where Do I Go From here? and their like. I'm feeling better already.

5 comments:

Anya Forrester Barker said...

Liz:
Sorry to hear this. Have you ever read Stephen King's memoir about writing. He used to keep a large nail on the wall and hang the slips until one day they started to look like wall paper.
Just remember everyday people across the globe read your blog and love it. It always makes my bleak Michigan day a whole lot better.
Cheers, Annie

Leslie: said...

I just do not understand this! If you're being rejected, then I surely have no chance at all. :( phfllttt to them, I say!

Suburbia said...

So sorry to hear about your news, however there is great creativity to be had from wallowing in the depths of dispair.(I love a good wallow!)

Liz Hinds said...

THank you so much, Annie! I do have Mr King's book; I must reread it.

You have such a special story though, leslie. It just takes the right person on the right day ...

I'm quite fond of wallowing too, suburbia, but I must take care not to get too settled into it!

Furtheron said...

Never mind Liz - keep going you'll get there one day, I know you will