Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Totally unforeseen

I checked on Chambers website and I'm pleased to say that it does have a definition for foreseeable. However my dictionary is only 15 years old and I'm sure foresee has been around longer than that, so I've emailed Chambers. I will tell you what they reply.

In the meantime, I spotted these wonderful words in their sidebar:
abibliophobia noun the fear or anxiety that one will run out of things to read
epeoloatry noun the worship of words
hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia noun a fear of long words

P.S. My dictionary does have unforeseeable.

9 comments:

James Higham said...

Liz, are you all right, dear?

CherryPie said...

I have just checked my 2002 version and couldn't find it to start with. but I can see what they have done now! Look under fore-

Sorry, but that did set me with a challenge ;-)

Liz Hinds said...

Oh, yes, cherrypie, you're right! Well, that's not logical.

CherryPie said...

I totally agree with you!!! Not logical at all.

Puss-in-Boots said...

I'm an abibliophobe from way back...I'm terrified of not having anything in the house to read. Does that mean I'm certifiable? Don't answer that...

Anonymous said...

Flocciipaucinihilipilification : the action of estimating something to be completely worthless

jmb said...

Abibliophobic? Not a chance. I have lots of spares and then there is always the public library. Plus I bought three more yesterday. Not a chance.

Anonymous said...

It is in our 1948 edition.
I once had an older edition but it fell to bits.

Furtheron said...

I love the hippo... etc. sadly I'll never remember it else that would I'm sure have come in handy at some point