Sunday, January 18, 2009

How to be silent in Irish

The lady who was speaking in church this morning showed a short Tearfund DVD at the end of her talky bit. You know you have a menu page on DVDs? Well, this one gave the following options.

Play:
With voice-over
Without voice-over
With voice-over (Ireland)
Without voice-over (Ireland)


It's very hard to concentrate on what is being said in a film when all you can think of is what it would sound like with an Oirish voice-over. Or, even more peculiarly, whether 'without voice-over (Ireland)' sounds any different from 'without voice-over.'

8 comments:

Puss-in-Boots said...

I didn't think the Irish could be silent? Haven't they all kissed the Blarney stone?

Anonymous said...

@Puss-i-B,
The Oyrisch get really ill when they have to remain silent. They contract leprosy and the hard scabs on their toes fall off. These are then planted between the pot-8-Os where they complete their life cycle by growing up to be leper corns again ;-)

I'll get me hat . . .

Rinkly Rimes said...

I'd like to say it with an Irish brogue, but you look equally fetching in both photos!

Furtheron said...

No doubt different music sound track - hopefully not one of loads of Irish folk music conforming to too many stereotypical images.... :-)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I'd love to know the answer to that!

jams o donnell said...

Silence in an Irish household.. I'm sure it's possible...I know only one way to stop my dad talking (in hs sing song Cork accent) and that is to staple his lips shut!

Damon Lord said...

I presume there was some contact information, legal notice, or something like that in the video, that led to the regional differences. With an Irish version, the contact (etc.) details would naturally have to be different.

Liz Hinds said...

I have, puss, and it didn't work for me!

You can go now, stu!

Why, thank you, rinkly rimes!

But it was all African music, furtheron, so i don't think that could be it.

WElshcakes, there was a Q&A session at the end and I wish i'd been brave enough to ask!

I have an Irish friend, jams, and I think you're right!

Thank you, that's very sensible, damon lord!