Saturday, January 31, 2009

Drama, chocolate and God

A ten-minute excerpt of my play is being included in February's Play-offs at the Dylan Thomas Centre. That's on the 11th, which is a week next Wednesday. Last night I went along to a rehearsal. (Which is held in Zac's as the drama group hire the hall there - the relevance will be important later in my story.)

Half of the cast weren't there and the man who's agreed to direct it had to go halfway through the evening, so ... my play didn't get rehearsed. Which undid the good done by the Wispa bar earlier. I had to have a bowl of Frosties when I got home. I shall simply discount yesterday on my mini-skirt diet.

One of the actors/group leaders - let's call him Man A - is hoping to be able to get the cast together for an extra (extra?) rehearsal before the final one next Friday.

Take a deep breath, Lizzie. Don't think about chocolate.

Anyway when Man A was talking to me, Man B came up and muttered something to him, to which Man A made a comment along the lines of, 'It's all extra Brownie points on the road to heaven.'
To which Man B replied, 'I'll still never get enough.'

Now usually I would have just smiled and left it at that. I was with people I hardly knew and well out of my comfort zone in all sorts of ways, but I was in Zac's, which I realise has become my 'spiritual home'. My mouth opened and out came the words, 'You don't need brownie points; heaven is free.'

This led to a brief conversation between Man B and me resulting in Man B saying, 'I did 3 tours of duty in Northern Ireland. I saw religion in action.'

At that point someone came and interrupted and needed Man B so I said goodnight and left. As I was walking to the car I was kicking myself, saying, 'You should have said that religion has nothing to do with God.'

Which isn't true in the strictest sense but religion is man-made; God is outside religion. There was nothing religious about Jesus mixing with thieves and prostitutes. there was nothing religious about Jesus washing his disciples' feet. There was definitely nothing religious about Jesus being whipped and crucified.

And there's nothing religious about God and me. And I thank God for that.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

"religion has nothing to do with God"
.
.
.
and vice versa
.
.
.
and rearranging the words
"God with religion has nothing to do"

Anonymous said...

I am so with you on the religion/God thing. That's why I'm a Quaker, I guess!

Sorry about your play, that is very hurtful. Have some more chocolate. ;)

Anonymous said...

That play what you wrote? Whats it about then? Is it about chocolate or God?

Liz Hinds said...

I think God would have a lot to do with the business of religion, stu, mainly throw it in the bin.

I'll never get into my mini-skirt if I do, jay!

No, mutley. It's about rugby.

Puss-in-Boots said...

I agree with you on your words about religion and God. I think a lot of us do.

What a disappointment about your play. Fingers crossed on its success, Liz.

Just a square of chocolate, ok?

Anonymous said...

Oh I can relate to reaching for the chocolate when stressed. Just one cube is okay though, really it is ;)).

CherryPie said...

I agree with you on religion and God.

Furtheron said...

I'm with you re religion and God.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on Chocolate ;0)

MaryB said...

Um, can we agree NOT to give up chocolate this year for Lent, Liz? I followed you down that dark path last year and I'm not sure I can do it again. Sounds like you need all the choco you can get to get beyond this thing. Let's give up brussels sprouts (though I do like brussels sprouts). I know the play will be smashing - ah, drama!