Monday, November 17, 2008

Monochrome Monday


My grampy (seated) served in the first world war (I really should have used this photo last week) so I suppose this would have been taken about 1914-15, when he would have been about 20. On the back he's written , 'To mother, with best love, your loving son, Jack.'

I've realised on looking closer that this is a French postcard and, indeed, in the corner I can just make out the name Guillemmot, something & Co, Paris, and I assume that would have been the photo studio. Does that make sense? Would our soldiers have had access to a French photography studio? Or maybe the photographer went out and set up a tent in amongst the soldiers?
My grandfather was shot in the first world war when a bullet went straight through him. His chest I think but he also had a scar on his leg. He lived to his seventies in spite of that - and smoking all his life.
He was a very gentle man and deaf in his later years, and he would sit in the corner of the living room smoking and reading quietly. He had a hearing aid but it never seemed to work very well. Or perhaps he just didn't switch it on. That was the wisest course of action I suspect as my birth meant he was the only man in a house with four women, including his wife - a strong-minded, some would say, domineering, character - his mother-in-law, his daughter and grand-daughter.
I'm having to photograph all my old photos now as my scanner isn't working so forgive the quality please.
To take part in Monochrome Monday, please go here.

7 comments:

Carver said...

Very interesting post and great photograph to have of your grandfather. I had to laugh at his turning off the hearing aid being the wisest course.

Dragonstar said...

What a fascinating man he must have been. You're lucky to have these photos.

Anonymous said...

I have a whole batch of similar photos though my father went to Basra (yes) and India. His terrible feet kept him out of the trenches - happily for me.
They could get leave to visit Paris.

Leslie: said...

Fascinating! I think it's great to have old photos like this. I'll have to post some some day. Great history, too.

jams o donnell said...

What a wonderful post Liz

Unknown said...

that's a treasure! Not participating just looking around.

CherryPie said...

What a wonderful post :-)