Saturday, October 04, 2008

Brisingr

Waiting at Vancouver airport for our flight home we had some dollars we needed to spend. (Well, we wouldn't have got such value if we'd exchanged them back, would we?) In the bookstore I noticed and immediately pounced upon Brisingr, the third book of the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. I knew Younger Son had read the first two and had been waiting longingly and for what seemed like years for the third to be published.

When we arrived home I gave him his souvenir present (a t-shirt) and then casually handed him the book in a carrier bag. 'I spotted this at the airport; I thought you might like it.'

He looked at the package and without even opening it he said, 'I've already bought it and read it.'

When the date of publishing had been announced some months earlier, he'd set the computer to give him a reminder.

'But you don't have any money,' I said.
'I used some of the money you gave me for food.'

You can't be mad at a Son who buys a book instead of food.

13 comments:

Dragonstar said...

Younger Son obviously has his priorities right!

Anonymous said...

Yes, you saw the books. At that time they were all in the one room.
There are a lot in this room now but thay are also all over the house.

Katney said...

If I hadn't retired I would have realized it was out and had at least a dozen students lined up to be first for the library copy. I probably would have had to buy it for myself and read it quickly then donate it so they could read it rather than wait for a library order. By the time it would get to about the third student on the list, all the others would have found it somewhere else and read it.

CherryPie said...

And I still haven't got round to starting the first one!

Puss-in-Boots said...

Hmmm, Younger Son is very much on the ball, isn't he? How disappointing for you, though.

Gill - That British Woman said...

popped in to say a quick hello from Canada, the other side of Canada though, I'm in the Toronto area.

Great blog,

Gill in Canada, originally from Britain.

CalumCarr said...

Liz

Feeding his brain. Clever!

James Higham said...

Books rather than food - good one.

Anonymous said...

Stick the spare copy on ebay!

Tim Atkinson said...

Well, man cannot live by bread alone (as the good book has it!).

jams o donnell said...

Haha that's true Liz... you just can't be mad!

Liz Hinds said...

I agree, dragonstar.

You can't have a home without books, aileni.

So is retirement good or bad, katney?


Nor me, cherrypie. I'm not really a fantasy book person.

I've found another home for it, puss.

Hello, gill. Good to meet you.

Calum and james, I'm pleased at his priority.

mutley, it is already on its way to its new home.

That's true, dotterel. (You have to have cheese as well!)

I've brought him up well, jams!

Leslie: said...

You've done a good job bringing him up to prefer books over food. :D