Thursday, April 03, 2008

A Spot of Bother

Yesterday, when I finally went to Sainsburys (more about that again), I was browsing for a birthday present for a friend, when I spotted the latest in the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, and the latest from Katie Fforde, both in paperback and both at £3.99. Well, I had to buy them, didn't I?

I've just finished reading A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon, who wrote The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. This, his next book, is very different from A Dog, but entertaining in a curious way.


It's a family tale about George, who is recently retired when he discovers a lesion on his hip. The doctor says it is eczema; George is convinced it is cancer and slowly has a breakdown, not helped by seeing his wife in their bed with her lover who is an old work colleague of his.


Their daughter, Katie, has decided to marry - although she's not sure if she loves him - a man they don't think is good enough. Their son, Jamie, is heartbroken because his lover has left him because he didn't want him to be invited to Katie's wedding.

And things generally get worse from there. Which all sounds a bit dreary but is very good. The characters grew on me as the book progressed - except for Jean, the wife, who is a bit of a blank character. And if you've ever planned your funeral having convinced yourself that the spot on your leg is cancer, then you'll understand George. And who hasn't?

Before I started reading A Spot, I began on an Anita Shreve book. I read about a chapter a night. the first chapter, I wasn't too impressed; the second was better; the third I didn't like at all. The following day, making the bed, I glanced at the book, and groaned. Then suddenly I thought, 'Why don't I stop reading it?'

That may seem an obvious thing to do but I rarely give up on books. I even ploughed through Midnight's Children, which, apart from the last 10 pages or so, I really didn't enjoy, but which had been given to me by a friend as it was his favourite book and he said I must read it. Oh, but it was an effort and I couldn't tell you anything about it now.

But on this particular day I had a Damascus Road moment. I realised I don't have long to live (I'm not dying - well, I am but not any faster than any of us - but I just mean that I have less time left than I've already had) and my pile of to-read books gets bigger and bigger. Why waste valuable time reading something I'm not enjoying?

It was a very freeing moment.

However Anita Shreve is still sitting on my bedside table looking at me reproachfully. I suppose the answer is to take her back from whence she came i.e. the secondhand book stall at the community cafe. When I can do that, I shall truly be free.

And talking of being free, I wonder where George is.
xx


6 comments:

fools' cap said...

I recently picked up A Spot of Bother because I had really enjoyed The Curious Incident... and I think the book was better than the backcover made out. It is so rare to find a book with a backcover blurb that actually is about the book inside!

I have a very similar problem of finding it extrememly hard to put down a book and not finish it once I've started to read it so I sympathise.

Elsie said...

Liz, like you, I always felt I had to finish every book I started. Then, a few years ago, I quit reading a book that I simply was not enjoying. It was the most boring book ever written -- I don't even remember its name. And, as you said, it was freeing to just put it down. Now I do it all the time. If I don't like it, it's gone. It gets easier and easier to do. You'll see. Good for you!

CherryPie said...

One of the people in my book group says give the book a 50 page test and if you haven't got into it by then bin it!

Life is too short ;-) xx

Leslie: said...

So which Anita Shreve book was it? Her books are usually good so I need to know so as not to buy it.

jmb said...

My goodness, a blog post every ten minutes here today. I hope your cold is getting better. Mine is still going downhill, the turn may be tomorrow.
I decided some years ago that there are too many books out there for me to waste my time on something I'm not enjoying. It's tough if I've paid good money for it but easier if it's a library book. I usually check out the ending just in case.

I like Anita Shreve, well all except Fortune's Rock. I liked the last one very much. Something about a wedding.

Liz Hinds said...

A friend said to me today that she didn't read books she wasn't enjoying because it was a waste of her eyes! I wonder what our reluctance to give up says about us?!

I can't remember the Anita Shreve title (and it's upstairs now) but it was about a wedding and the bride was dying of cancer.